Compensation may be earned from links or ads displayed in this post or website at no cost to you. See Disclosure page for more information.
How to Reduce Stress at Work
…..Before It Reduces You
Stress at work is a silent killer. Is stress killing you? Look around at the faces of the people who work with you. Do they have stress written all over their faces? Do you suffer stress at work?
If you are desperate to get back and kick butt at the office, then you are going to need to practice a couple of simple methods to reduce stress.
Stress is a workplace hazard according to the Occupational Health and Safety Act and costs $190 billion in health care related costs and Worker’s Compensation every year.
Over 65% of adults admit that work causes them major stress problems.
Know the Symptoms
Do you recognize the symptoms of stress?
- increased blood pressure,
- stomach problems,
- chest pain,
- depression with severe mood swings
- chronic fatigue and/or pain
– And probably any number of others things. Stress over a long period causes a myriad of symptoms.
What Can Cause Stress
Stress at work has many causes but some of the most common causes are:
- You are nervous about being fired or laid off.
- Excessive workload and you need to work overtime.
- Rising expectations of you.
- Pressure to produce all the time, at your peak.
- A workload too heavy to handle.
- Not making enough money but you can’t ask for a raise.
- Not receiving recognition for your performance.
- Peer conflicts.
- Constant interruptions that prevent you from completing tasks on time.
- Bullying or harassment in the workplace
How do you know if stress is getting the best of you?
- Your most common mood is depressed, anxious, irritable or withdrawn.
- You are losing interest in your work; apathy has set in.
- Can’t sleep; feeling tired a lot of the time.
- Have trouble concentrating.
- Tense muscles, stomach, and digestive problems, and headaches.
- Using drugs or alcohol to feel better.
- Uncontrollable angry outbursts.
- Thoughts about dying.
- Your social and home lives are being affected negatively.
Then it’s time to take some action to reverse and eliminate your stress.
What Can You Do?
There are positive things to try which can change the way you feel so that you can manage the stress before it overwhelms you:
- Form Positive Relationships: They won’t solve the problems, but just verbalizing with friends you trust will lessen the stress. Upbeat and positive people bring out the same in you. You are who you associate with.
- Exercise if you aren’t: By exercising, you release endorphins which boost the mood, also taking your mind off stressful thoughts. Listen to positive and uplifting podcasts while you exercise. They keep your mind busy so as not to dwell on negative stuff.
- Eat nutritious, healthy foods: Get away from the comfort foods, the unhealthy takeaways as a way of managing stress. In the end, they exacerbate the problem. Eat carbs like whole-wheat bread, vegetables, high fiber foods, superfoods that have antioxidants in them and lean proteins with plenty of omega-3, which are excellent for stress and depression.
- Eliminate alcohol or drug use: Don’t seek a solution through alcohol because it is a natural depressant and drugs only offer a temporary reprieve and can lead to addiction.
- Get lots of sleep: Stress sure can cause insomnia which makes you unable to face the next day with its problems and stresses. There are many herbal sleep aids, sleep meditations, sleep music, and tea remedies.
- Organize and prioritize: When you feel overwhelmed, stress can assuredly befall you and clutch you in its claws. Clarify your goals and set deadlines. Set realistic deadlines, writing down priorities and starting at the top, working down your to-do list.
- Get rid of bad habits: Your outlook has a big impact on your ability to cope. If you are negative, you need to change your mindset to break bad habits that are keeping you back from performing at your best. You have to stay positive, resisting the need to be “perfect”. Listening to positive and empowering people like Tony Robbins talk about success and how to achieve it, may cause the breakthrough you need.
- You are what you think you are: Daily positive affirmations and gratitude’s will start your day on the right note. It’s impossible to be miserable when you are grateful.
There is no doubt that stress is a huge problem, but you can solve stress in the workplace by changing yourself. You can only change yourself any way you choose to see life.
Follow the tips given and bring your stress levels under control. You will have peace of mind, happiness, success, and joy if you are prepared to make some changes.
The breakthrough comes through for you alone – only when you change, will you see clearly, the positive things coming your way.